[development] Status update: WYSIWYG support in Drupal core

T L tloud365 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:57:12 UTC 2009

I think it's easy and tempting but ultimately counter-productive to focus on
who's right or really gets it or works in the real world.  If it were a
simple, one-sided issue, it wouldn't be a problem.  Really, if you remove
the specifics, it's yet another debate about what Drupal should or should
not include.  This seems natural and inevitable: the many flavors of *nix
exemplify, in my mind, that even in the OSS world different people have
different needs and want their needs prioritized first (security, usability,
stability, maintainability, etc).  It also seems pretty difficult to expect
everyone to agree on what the community's needs are, let alone what the
order is.  (And hey, the founding members of the community have been pretty
amazingly successful at meeting most needs through the modular design.)

So while we could say 'fork it', walk away, or continue to have these
passionate but inherently divisive discussions on a case-by-case basis; we
could also recognize our common interests and gains by working together and
focus on finding an inclusive solution.  That doesn't have to mean
compromise, it's not always a binary world.  Globally speaking, I say we
concentrate all this energy into discovering creative solutions.

Warm Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Loudon