[development] Can .htaccess discard part of a path?

Seth Freach sfreach at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:26:28 UTC 2009

Nancy,

I'm assuming this is a leftover from the moms team site?  The incoming
requests are coming from the fact that Google appears to have lots of
these links in its index still to these URLs and sites which still link
to these URLs.

Instead of a rewrite, I'd suggest a a response code 301 redirect.  This
will be more Google friendly.

look in the default .htaccess file for the (commented out by default)
lines that deal with www. redirection (ie, you always want people to see
"www" or never do, regardless of how they access the site.)  Using those
patterns should help show you how to redirect to the same content but
without the "cgi-bin/printOriginal.pl&file=/"

Seth