[development] Doing hook_update_N() when module is installed

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Thu Nov 12 04:08:31 UTC 2009

I'm doing a module for infrastructure which is all about applying
configuration updates, and it does only configuration, nothing else.

I'd like to create hook_update_N() functions, but I'd also like all of them
to be run when the module is installed.

Is there any "correct" way to do this?  Many modules implement the
functionality in both hook_install and hook_update_N, and that's fine for
database-only issues, which is what these were built around (like schema
changes). But it doesnt' really make sense for site config changes.

Obviously, I can run the hook functions from hook_install(), in direct or
indirect ways.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
-Randy

--
Randy Fay
Drupal Development, troubleshooting, and debugging
randy at randyfay.com
+1  970.462.7450