[development] Doing hook_update_N() when module is installed

Arancaytar Ilyaran arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 09:09:20 UTC 2009

The pattern of hook_update_N() being related in any way to the install
functions is an unfortunate side effect of both being in the same
file. As I understand it, they should ideally remain separate: No
update function should be called anywhere in the module, nor call any
of the other functions (particularly hook_schema). This ensures that
a) update functions can safely be left as-is when the rest of the code
changes, and can be relied on to keep a clean upgrade path, and b) old
update functions can safely be deleted. A little duplicated code for a
new table is not so bad...

--
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
XMPP: arancaytar.ilyaran at gmail.com
PGP:  http://ermarian.net/downloads/0x27CA5C74