[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:59:08 UTC 2009

> My though is that on d.o, it should exist some kind of tag like "core
> team says YAY! to this module" and "core team totally disapprove this
> ugly module", which should help users to get stable, maintainable, and
> non abandoned modules.

With 5000+ modules it would be impossible for the core team to keep up. Any
option to evaluate modules after they've been submitted isn't practical at
all. As to stable, maintainable and non-abandoned modules, I'm pretty sure
not even the core team has the ability to read into the future :)

The only alternative is to catch projects before they are even created by
requiring permission per project rather than a CVS account that can create
an unlimited number of projects/modules. Not to mention the added benefit of
introducing the module on the dev list to everyone which is a huge
advantage.

A comment period would help with this.

I disagree to this. When CVS owners find they won't be able to upload their
modules without getting an administrator's approval they will lean towards
introducing the module before writing code which would save on a lot of
coding work.

Finally, I think we should make it clear to people that if you contribute a
> module, you're expected to maintain it, or at least figure out how to get it
> maintained. I know there are a number of module contributors who have just
> dropped code into CVS and left it there for ever. Perhaps we should ask them
> to check a checkbox "I agree to maintain this module".

As nice as it may be, this is simply unrealistic.

AA