[development] new dev q: are mysql queries possible within drupal?

spartaguy spartaguy spartaguy300 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 23:28:49 UTC 2009

Thanks to everyone that replied.

To summarise then:

 1)  I need to make a custom module.
 2) The module should have a block for displaying the query and a menu hook
 3) I can add the module to either primary links or navigation as a menu
item
 4) Rendered HTML using mysql commands is quite straight forward
 5) The tables being queried are easier to access within the main drupal d/b
but i can use a different db

Regarding a different db, does this command:

db_set_active('customerdb');

make *all* db queries go through customerdb or just the ones for my module?
ie will drupal have any issues accessing the data it needs from say
"drupaldb" if I dont change
the active db back again?