[development] Drupal Folder Structure

Ken Winters kwinters at coalmarch.com
Thu Nov 19 14:40:34 UTC 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Josh Miller wrote:

> Is there anyone else worried that the Drupal folder structure
> encourages users to drop modules or themes into the wrong place?
> Wouldn't you like to have a folder structure that separates core
> from the rest of the customizable sites folder?
>
> As this issue could blow up in the issue que (http://drupal.org/node/22336
> ) perhaps a short discourse on the mailing list is in order. It's
> weird that we all care so much about coding standards and yet we let
> our folder structure look so thrown together.
>
> Perhaps I'm wrong. I have feeling the real reason we are putting up
> with such a confusing structure is that moving files can introduce a
> big wtf and some might think we should leave it well enough alone.
> On the other hand, I believe it's broken and not at all grokable for
> 100% of the newbies.

I'm all for moving the core modules into /core/modules, themes into /
core/themes (or anything equivalent) in D8.  It seems way too late for
D7.

What we could do in the immediate is put a text file DONTTOUCH.txt or
whatever in those folders, with instructions on what users should
actually be doing.

On a related note, some modules encourage users to place custom code
or plugin modules into [module folder]/modules,
which is bad because they can easily be deleted when the main module
is updated.  I think we should discourage this.

- Ken Winters