[development] Getting SVN to deal with orphaned and new files

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Nov 26 17:05:37 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 November 2009 10:45:00 am Andrew Berry wrote:
> On 2009-11-25, at 9:49 PM, Dave Cohen wrote:
> > Finally, I use svn:externals.
>
> Has anyone ever figured out a way to make svn:externals "sticky" a revision
> for production branches? The biggest issue I had with it was that there was
> no way to easily fetch the state of the project at a given revision, as
> externals just point to the HEAD of a path.
>
> --Andrew

Back when I was using externals, I had the modules we were external-ing cloned
into a local SVN repo.  To wit:

/svn/drupalcone
  /modules
      /6.x-2.4
      /6.x-2.5
    /cck
      /6.x-2.1
      /6.x-2.2

And then in my "new install image" directory, I had svn:external directives to
the versions we wanted to use.  Then when there was a new version of one of
those modules, I'd add it to our repository, update the svn:external
directive, and then re-export the base image into each of our in-development
projects.

Turns out, though, that was a ridiculous amount of work. :-)  Plus I'd always
be forgetting the right commands or paths or whatever because I'd only use
them every so often.

That's why I eventually threw that out and switched to all-drush.  It's just
easier to let each project's svn repo be totally independent and do all
updating through Drush.  It also means that the onus is not on me to update
our base image every time there's a new release, which makes life easier for
both me and the rest of our dev team that doesn't have to wait on my slow-arse
self before they can update something. :-)

--
Larry Garfield
larry at garfieldtech.com