[development] Controlling login/logout in a menu

Jeff Greenberg jeff at ayendesigns.com
Thu Oct 22 03:16:46 UTC 2009

Dylan Wilder-Tack wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Jeff Greenberg wrote:
>> I'm using the secondary menu to put a few links at the top right of
>> the screen. Among them should be login (if not already) and logout
>> (if logged in). Adding them to the menu is, of course, not an issue,
>> but how would I control their appearing or not based on whether the
>> user is logged in?
>
> That's automatic if you use the paths "user/login", "logout", and
> "user/register".  (BTW their visibility isn't magical or anything,
> It's controlled by the access callbacks in user_menu()).
>
> -D

Thanks! Not quite a forehead slapper, but clearer in hindsight! I did
have logout (but of course, was logged in as admin while doing this) but
had ?q=user instead of user/login. With the zillion lines of code I've
seen in my years, I'm still often humbled by the simplicity that results
from the design, like here. Magical.