[development] GPL

Cameron Eagans cweagans at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:29:51 UTC 2010

Hi Drupalistas!

This question has come up a couple of times in our local Drupal user group
meetings, but the answer that was given didn't sound quite right to me:

If I code a module for Drupal, does it -have- to be GPL? That is, is a
module considered a 'derivative work' of Drupal? Or is a module considered
it's own entity from an intellectual property standpoint (that is, can I use
something like http://www.raizlabs.com/software/phpobfuscator/ to obfuscate
my source code and sell my module without licensing it as GPL?)

Because a module executes as a part of Drupal, must it be GPL?

Taking that further, can we apply the same question to things like the Linux
kernel? Is a kernel module required to be GPL? Can I sell a proprietary
kernel extension?

Thanks,
Cameron Eagans