[development] CVS Branching Rules

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Wed Dec 8 18:12:30 UTC 2010

I'll just take this opportunity to note: once the git migration is
completed, branch/tag naming & restrictions will work quite differently.
There'll be no restrictions on what branch/tag names you can send into
your project repositories (like the ones on the page Gabor linked to).
So, great for collaboration, feature branches, and all other sorts of
things that git makes easier.

There will, however, be restrictions on what branches/tags you can use
to make official releases. However, instead of it being the arcane
system described at #93999, it'll quite closely resemble the
human-readable branch names and tag names we're accustomed to seeing.
Generally, they'll follow this convention:

Branches:
	'DRUPAL-6--1' becomes '6.x-1.x'

Tags:
	'DRUPAL-6--1-0-ALPHA1' becomes '6.x-1.0-alpha1'
	'DRUPAL-6--2-2' becomes '6.x-2.2'

Much saner :)