[development] Block caching in D7

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Sat Dec 11 05:37:59 UTC 2010

Hi Fredrik -

I think you may have been testing as user 1.  I started testing your problem
and noticed the same thing and started debugging and then noticed this code:

function _block_get_cache_id($block) {
  global $user;

  // User 1 being out of the regular 'roles define permissions' schema,
  // it brings too many chances of having unwanted output get in the cache
  // and later be served to other users. We therefore exclude user 1 from
  // block caching.

My testing (after I logged in as a different user) did show caching work
correctly, at least in casual testing.

As a result of your note I've added a timestamp into one of the blocks
provided by the Block Example module, part of the Examples project (
http://drupal.org/project/examples) so that one can easily explore whether
caching is happening or not. When http://drupal.org/node/995316 goes in
(maybe tonight) it will make an easier way to explore block caching.

-Randy

--
Randy Fay
Drupal Module and Site Development