[development] Distributing "bi-modal" Drupal modules

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Wed Feb 17 15:17:09 UTC 2010

Joomla core developer?  I don't know whether to be flattered or
insulted....

I'd argue that they are no harder to cope with than the solution that
your proposing here, especially if they try to install a single other
module into their drupal installation, and discover that yours is the
only module that follows this paradigm.  (Please download the 7.2
module for your fixes.... yes I know you're running 6.x but that's
where the code is, trust me.)

I wouldn't have chimed in if I hadn't written a ton of deployment
scripts and systems.  Really, deployment strategies are best if they
are as loosely coupled as possible from the code base.  IMHO, if
you're going to start asking about how to make this work and it
conflicts with the dependency management system in drupal, you're
barkin up the wrong tree.  This will be the first thing that breaks
as you say in drupal api revisions.  You're still going to have to
write code that instrospects drupal to figure out what version it is
and then load different code based on this.  This is seriously going
to obfuscate your contrib module, not to mention complicate your
repository (the version 7.x.4 branch of the 6.x.3 module etc. )

I really do believe what your talking about will be harder to
implement than a drupal specific packaging script over the long haul,
or I wouldn't have chimed in.

Just to set the record straight.... I'm a contrib developer, not a
core developer and deal with the api changes all the time.

Dave