[development] 'old' core 6 & new 7, working together..?

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Jan 4 02:50:33 UTC 2010

On 3-Jan-10, at 4:47 PM, Susan Stewart wrote:

> Ad,
>
> Someone suggests this every time a new version of Drupal comes out
> -- always someone who, like yourself, is not a programmer and has no
> idea what such a thing entails.  Get to know Drupal and its code a
> little better, and read http://drupal.org/node/65922 which explains
> why we don't cripple Drupal in the name of backwards compatibility,
> or worse, create some sort of kludgy compatibility layer to hold it
> down.
>
> If a module has sufficient interest, it will be upgraded quickly to
> the next version of Drupal.  Anyone can do it with an investment of
> time and programming skills, or of dollars.  You can visit http://drupal.org/project/modules?solrsort=sort_title%20asc&text=d7cx
>  to see a list of contrib modules that have promised to have a D7
> compatible release on the day D7 is released.
>
> I know that for non-programmers and those not familiar with Drupal,
> this all seems strange, but that first link I gave you is a great
> explanation of why it is part of the core Drupal philosophy.

Susan gave good resources here.

I think it's a good goal to want to make 6 => 7 transitions easier on
people. I think backwards-compatibility layers though are the wrong
way to do it, not to mention impossible in most cases.

The /right/ way to do it is to work on tools that make porting code
between versions a much easier process. These tools are all
consolidated in the Coder module: http://drupal.org/project/coder.
There's a video at http://www.lullabot.com/videocast/porting-drupal-modules
  which shows converting a 5.x module to 6.x in about 15 minutes using
Coder module and some basic copy/paste/modify PHP skills. Coder module
works by having rules defined for each API change and raising warnings
when it encounters old code. The 7.x version of Coder even comes with
a new Coder Upgrade module (called Deadwood in 6.x), which will
attempt to make the changes for you.

Anyone who has the itch of making the 6.x => 7.x transition smoother
should be hunkering down in the Coder module queue to write up some of
the changes at http://drupal.org/update/modules/6/7 into rules that
can then be applied en masse by everyone. Even if you don't consider
yourself a "real" programmer, but you know enough to be dangerous, you
could help with this task. It's a great way to get familiar with the
changes you'll need to know in a few months, well ahead of time, and
it helps make the transition to the new version easier for everyone.

-Angie