[development] Drupal's target audience

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Jan 5 16:32:35 UTC 2010

Brian Vuyk wrote:
> I think this whole overlay-in-core issue has kind of raised a fairly
> significant issue to my mind - who exactly is Drupal's target audience?

Everyone!  Anyone!  The whole world!

Which is of course a problem.  "You can please some of the people all of
the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please
all of the people all of the time."

We do very much need to change that attitude, or at least acknowledge
that there are *layers* of target audience that need to be addressed
separately in order to be addressed properly.  Insert smallcore debate
here so we don't have to rehash it. :-)

*snip*

> I wonder if there is call to have a separate, supported install profile
> for more advanced users that does away with some of these things?
>
> Thoughts?

That's what the "expert" profile in core is for.  Everything is disabled
by default.

'course, I don't recall the last time I used a non-custom install
profile.  All Palantir sites are built from a custom profile, although
with drush and now features that profile is thinner than it used to be.

--Larry Garfield