[development] 'old' core 6 & new 7, working together..? +crossite

Kyle Mathews mathews.kyle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:45:31 UTC 2010

The "event" module is actually a great example of why the current system
works. Event hasn't been upgraded -- not because it was too hard to upgrade
or because "developers prefer to spend time on getting 5 better instead of
upgrading modules". It hasn't been upgraded because "Event", as a module
that solves the "I-want-to-store-and-display-dates" problem, has been
entirely superseded by the cck/date/calendar/views stack of modules.
*Nobody* afaik uses the Event module in Drupal 6 just because
cck/date/calendar/views is so clearly superior. It's much more flexible
because date is a cck field, "date" nodes" have excellent and extensive
integration with Views, and the Calendar module provides again a powerful
and flexible method for displaying "date" nodes in a calendar format. I've
used both setups, Event back in my Drupal 5 days, and
cck/date/calendar/views more recently, and the two solutions don't even
compare.

To borrow a biology metaphor, Drupal is evolving rapidly year after year and
some modules/module-stacks such as Event prove to be evolutionary dead-ends.
It does suck I agree (having done it a number of times) to have to migrate
data between module setups -- everyone would prefer easy migrations -- but
giving the environment Drupal lives in, the web, that's not going to happen
for a long long time. Maybe when the web becomes stable and boring,  Drupal
will also become stable and boring. But in the meantime, we have to race to
keep up.

--Kyle Mathews

kyle.mathews2000.com/blog
http://twitter.com/kylemathews