[development] how template suggestion inherits default header&footer of page.tpl.php

Michael Favia michael.favia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:10:10 UTC 2010

What Tim is describing at the end of his message might be  alittle
confusing but is VERY essential. The page template suggestions and
indeed all template suggestions use "original paths" (e.g. node/15)
and not path aliases (news/my-name-is). This makes using them with out
specific template suggestions (on node type, etc) in the preprocess
function almost useless in most of my cases.

Tim is also right in alluding to the node.tpl.php template files
which, by default DO load conditionally on node type. If you are just
looking to modify the node display contents look here. If you need to
modify contents outside this page then youll have to live with a
little code duplication in page template or conditionally include the
header and footer sections as includes(). Good luck, -mf