[development] The Status and Future of the Body Field

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Jan 15 16:02:06 UTC 2010

@Naheem,

That doesn't answer the question. We can use a fields-in-core field to
create a body field that automatically gets created when you create a new
content-type. Sensible default settings have nothing to do with it. So I
still ask, "Why are we using the legacy body field for new content types in
D7?"

While we are talking sensible defaults... the default for a body field in a
new content type should be to use the "Long text" handler and NOT the "Long
text with summary." The use-cases for "Long text with summary" are far fewer
than for "Long text." And it can take years for people to actually grok
"long text with summary" anyway :). Now that we've got fields-in-core, we
should be defaulting on a new content-type body field to "long text".

Shai