[development] where to put settings for a proxy script?

Pierre R. pierre.rineau at makina-corpus.com
Tue Jan 26 15:58:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 12:54 +0000, John Pulles wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> For the mapping kit module, I am using a proxy script to fetch
> external map layers into the openlayers client. Some settings for this
> proxy script are now inside the script file itself, e.g. which target
> hosts to allow, or which types of content of responses to accept. What
> would be the preferable place for these settings? For performance
> reasons, the proxy doesn't bootstrap a minimal Drupal, so the settings
> will not be configurable through the admin pages.
> I liked the suggestion at
> http://drupal.org/node/685732#comment-2517110 to put the settings in
> the default settings file. Is this more often done for settings that
> are 'static'?
>
> Regards,
> John

To generalize the question, is it coherent to put variables in
settings.php file. Those variables ARE NOT from the 'variables' table
and are not meant to be used with variable_get() and variable_set().

The goal here is to use them in a standalone php file (just like update
or install scripts would do), which is whatsoever linked with a module
feature but does not uses a bootstrapped Drupal to work.

The variables are going to be in settings.php because it's the main
entry point for settings for a Drupal instance.

So, there are two questions:
 - Do you think that's coherent to put those variable in settings.php?
 - If you think so, do you think it should go to a specific custom
variable array in this file or in the global $conf array?

Pierre.