[development] Deployment process

Alex Barth alex at developmentseed.org
Fri Jan 29 17:15:36 UTC 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Ken Winters wrote:

> Where possible, do everything in code rather than the database.

Right. Have a look at Features.  It helps you export configuration to
code and manage it. It does this by relying on other module's export
APIs. If you're building a module with configuration options, take a
look at CTools/export API for making them exportable. Using CTools/
export is best practice for exporting ATM, IMO.

http://drupal.org/project/features
http://drupal.org/project/ctools

> Trying to merge two databases is a giant
> pain, but pushing new code and running update.php is fairly painless.
>
> If you do have to make database changes after the client has already
> entered data, you'll want to script it (often
> using an importer).
>
> - Ken Winters
>
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Stewart Birch wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> very early on in my Drupal learning process but have been asked to
>> come up with a solution where the client will be entering content
>> on the production site and we may very well be making structural
>> changes ( css etc )
>> on DEV and changes to the site setup  ( for example a page name or
>> somesuch ) , is there a way to seperate the data entered for
>> content types from everything else so when deploying a site to
>> production we can do so without worrying about content being lost.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Stewart
>>

>> http://www.flickr.com/people/mrbirch

Alex Barth