[development] (no subject)

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jul 12 20:47:59 UTC 2010

I generally warn people away from modifying another module's tables
(core being a collection of modules).  The potential for collision,
confusion, and stuff randomly disappearing on you is too great.

If you have a one-off where you know what your situation is, then you
can sometimes get away with it.  A contrib module on d.o that starts
messing with the user table, for instance, is a code smell that I want
to stay far away from it.

JOINs, especially on indexed integer fields (like nid, uid, etc.) are
really really fast.  SQL is designed to make them fast.  Don't fear the
join.

--Larry Garfield