[development] Batch API on cron

Yves Chedemois yched.drupal at free.fr
Thu Jul 15 11:25:26 UTC 2010

Batch API works around the PHP timeout limitation by relying on a client
browser to iterate separate requests, each of which stays below the time
limitation.
So yes, Batch API can only be used in a UI context, which excludes cron.

For the same reason, it is not recommended to fire a batch processing
inside an API function, since you cannot ensure it will be executed in a
safe-for-batch context.

Yched