[development] Allowing users to create easy pre-fab sites?

Bob Fishel bob at bobforthejob.com
Wed Jul 28 15:06:09 UTC 2010

Aegir looks interesting but my main site is (planned... i'm still
drawing up a site plan before implementing) using Domain Access.

The main site is www.example.com
and will have a number of sub sites based on cities
city1.example.com
city2.example.com
These subsites will have their own set of content but will all use the
same theme and some subsites will need to pull content from others
(for example the dayton site will pull some content from the
cincinnati and the columbus sites etc...)

However I want to allow my users to sign up for their own domains that
will possibly pull some content from one or more of the subsites.
(basically making certain pre-fabbed views available for them to link
to)

So it appears that domain access doesn't play well with Aegir.

So two possible solutions.

1. Host a separate drupal install with Aegir but not Domain Access at
something like Aegir.example.com and execute a shell script that
utilizes Drush when someone purchases a hosting package. Share any
needed nodes to the other install via RSS.

2.  Something else that i'm not thinking of that would allow D omain
access to manage the main site and subsites but aegir to manage
anything other then *.example.com and example.com

Any ideas on how to accomplish #2 or any flaws in #1?

Thanks for the feedback.

-Bob