[development] The "postponed" issue status

Alex Bronstein alex at craftyspace.com
Fri Jun 4 00:09:27 UTC 2010

I'd be ok with either one of these options:

1) Don't add "blocked". Treat "postponed" as a superset of "blocked".
So, something can either be "postponed" because another issue needs to
be resolved first, or it can be postponed for other reasons, like the
person who feels responsible for the issue wishes to convey that they're
putting it off their radar for a while, until they feel like picking it
up again some day. Although these are very different concepts, I don't
think it's so bad to bundle them into a single status as we do now. But,
if "postponed" includes "this issue is very much alive, but is stuck
until another issue is resolved", then we must change the "79 critical
issues (D7)" link in the "Contributor links" block to include
"postponed". Otherwise, we have the wrong count and lose awareness of
issues that still must be solved.

2) Add "blocked" and include those, but not "postponed" issues in the
count of critical issues remaining.

My preference is for the second, but I think the first is acceptable.
What I think is a problem right now is that we have some critical issues
marked as "postponed" thinking that's the correct status for blocked,
but those issues not showing up in that link that people are
increasingly paying attention to.

Alex.

PS: Not sure if this conversation should move to an issue. Perhaps it
should if it starts getting more responses, but at least for now, I see
some value in continuing it on this email list.