[development] php4

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Jun 14 18:18:26 UTC 2010

Official position: Drupal 6 core runs on PHP 4.  Contribs are at their
discretion to decide what they support.  Drupal 7 and its contribs will
require PHP 5.2 or higher.

My personal position: The host in question will likely be deservedly out
of business soon.  Seriously, PHP 5 is not hard to support.  It's been 3
years since the developer community officially abandoned PHP 4 and 2
since the PHP internals team did so.  PHP 4 is getting no security
updates whatsoever, and there are known, documented security holes in it
that will not be addressed.

If your client is too cheap to get a host that pays attention to the
past 6 years and at least pretends to care about security, then frankly
I'd question if they're too cheap to pay you for the work.  It's not
like cheap PHP 5 hosts are hard to find.

--Larry Garfield