[development] mod rewrite rules question

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Wed Mar 3 18:27:13 UTC 2010

Just an FYI: Dreamhost recently disallowed FollowSymLinks on all their
servers, so the standard Drupal .htaccess (and
sites/default/files/.htaccess) will cause a 500 error. Replacing the
instances of FollowSymLinks with SymlinksIfOwnerMatch resolves this on
Dreamhost.

I only mention this because anybody who perked up at the mention of
FollowSymLinks might want to know.

Apparently Dreamhost has encountered a security risk of using
FollowSymLinks. I wonder if we should update the Drupal ..htaccess and
sites/default/files/.htaccess in line with this. Any opinions?

-Randy

--
Randy Fay
Drupal Development, troubleshooting, and debugging
randy at randyfay.com
+1  970.462.7450