[development] order in which regions are rendered

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 13:42:53 UTC 2010

One option is to use placeholders for the tile when you add the code
into the blocks - something like #TILE#. Then in page process you set an
array with the order your blocks are rendered:

$blocks = array('header','left sidebar','right sidebar','bottom sidebar');

Now loop though the blocks and replace that token.

$tileNo = 0;
foreach ($blocks as $block){
   while ($pos = stripos($vars[$block],'tile=#TILE#'){
         $tileNo++;
         $vars[$block] = substr_replace($vars[$block], $tileNo, $pos +
5, 6); //Change 6 to the length of your token
     }
}

If you are dealing with multiple themes where the block order can change
then the other option is to do this via output buffering. I used this
method for a client on a Wordpress MU site a few years ago.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net