[development] Some problems with a CCK Field module

Kyle Mathews mathews.kyle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:16:05 UTC 2010

I'm writing a CCK Field module to provide integration with Etherpad so you
can add an Etherpad field to a content type which will then automatically
bring in an etherpad editor via an Iframe when you create a new node. See
http://groups.drupal.org/node/98794 for more.

But this is my first cck field module and I'm running into a couple of
difficulties.

First, I don't really understand how a widget saves information. The problem
is I need to save more information then I ask people to add in the widget.
The widget is just a checkbox that asks people if they want to include an
etherpad with the node. But I need to save with the node not just that but
also the etherpad url, etherpad id, and attributes.

Where do I add this information to be saved? Is there some sort of
CCK-specific submit function I can use?

The second questions is more of a shot in the dark. Now, when I add an
Etherpad field to a content type, it doesn't always work. By not working, I
mean my widget doesn't show up on the node edit page and there's no output
on the page (though the output variable is defined in node.tpl.php, just
it's empty). That's not much to go on I know but is there any common reason
why this could happen?

If you'd like to look at the code, it's at
https://github.com/KyleAMathews/drupal-etherpad/blob/master/etherpad.module

Thanks!

--
Kyle Mathews