[development] Managing own entity

Klaus Purer klaus.purer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:58:41 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 06:33 PM, Ivan Jaroš wrote:
> *Hi. Im trying to make my own entity - item(e-shop). So far I have this
> http://pastebin.com/KgrzBzAY
> Lets say I have an array/object with data(name, price..), how do I save it
> and load it? How do I make Drupal insert, lets say, price into my price
> column in my item table ?

I recommend the Entity API module: http://drupal.org/project/entity

It comes with useful tools to handle entities. In your case you would
create a class that extends EntityDB for your needs.

If you want to create an item entity:

$item = new Item(); // Item is your newly created class

If you want to set a price for an item and save it:

$item->price = 50;
$item->save();

If you want to load an entity:

$item = entity_load('item', array('your_entity_id'));

or you define a custom loading function.

Have a look at entity.api.php that comes with the entity module. Further
examples that make use of entities are profile2 and wsclient.
http://drupal.org/project/profile2
http://drupal.org/project/wsclient

--
Klaus Purer
This E-Mail contains a digital signature and can be verified with this