[development] module names and namespaces

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Sat Oct 16 20:41:32 UTC 2010

The function names the first thing we think of, but there are other places where the module name implies a sort of "namespace".

Variables we've mentioned, also database tables, data in the database like the authmap.module column, drupal_render data structures like $form['foo_data'], and so on...

I don't think php namespaces or another separator are enough to prevent the problem.  But simply not using '_' in a module name would.  And I say this as someone who has used '_' in module names in the past (i.e. tac_lite).  Now I understand the problem, so I won't do that again.

-Dave