[development] Views field handler being ignored

jeff at ayendesigns.com jeff at ayendesigns.com
Mon Oct 18 02:45:28 UTC 2010

Trying to override a views field handler with another. Doing it with the
node field handler just to test, the sole visible change expected is the
help text on the link to node option should be different. Have read the
advanced help, hooks docs, code, etc., but am missing something.

1. Created a module directory with typical .info file, which modules
finds and is happy with. In particular, it contains:

files[] = my.module
files[] = my_views.inc
files[] = my_handler_field_node.inc

2. In my.module (which has a weight of 11)

function my_views_handlers() {
   return array('my_handler_field_node');
}

3. my_views.inc is the same as node_views.inc except
         the function names are changed from node_views to my_views
         in my_views_handlers() the handler for field node is changed to
my_handler_field_node
         in $data['node']['title'] the handler name is changed to
my_handler_field_node

4. my_handler_field_node.inc is the same as views_handler_field_node.inc
except the class name was changed and the help text for the link to node
form item in the options for is changed

and....yup, of course, no change.