[development] Refresh rather than re-create D6 cache

Tomáš Fülöpp (vacilando.org) tomi at vacilando.org
Mon Oct 18 10:22:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

In D6, after all caches are cleared, or after a lot of them expire and get
emptied by cron, the server load spikes seriously because all such caches
need to be re-populated.

Since this happens more and more on sites I work on, I have been thinking
about using another approach in my modules, in the sense that caches would
be *refreshed* rather than cleared and re-populated. Each cache refresh
would run depending on e.g. a simple variable storing last time stamp of any
other cache refresh.

This would assure that a) all cached values would be available at all times,
b) caches would never be re-calculated all at the (near) same time.

I am about to write logic for this, but wanted to first check with others in
the list -- perhaps some of you know or can point to an elegant solution
that already exists.

Thanks!

vacilando