[development] using git, create patch with new files

Michael Favia michael at favish.com
Mon Apr 11 18:16:12 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 12:16 PM, Dave Cohen wrote:
> When I run `git diff`, I see changes to all the modified files, but I do not see the new files.
Git allows (actually assumes) that a directory might have various
degrees of "dirt" in it. Unapplied patches, your half composed manifesto
about the importance of not hacking core, etc.

A git diff just compares the changes in the "tracked" files that git has
been told to care about. Its a good neighbor basically.

To do what you want above, just temporarily tell git to care about your
new files with "git add ." or listing them by name and then run "git
diff HEAD".

These two steps tell git to care about the file then ask whats different.

You can of course unstage your files if you dont want to actually commit
them using git "git reset HEAD". None of these chanegs actually destroy
any data except temporary data in the git index. Your files will all
remain intact as you want.

A more common use case is to use git commits to track your progress ona
feature/bug branch as you go and git diff between two named commits instead.

YMMV.

Michael Favia                   michael at favish.com
tel. 512.669.5650            http://www.favish.com