[development] using git, create patch with new files

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Mon Apr 11 20:12:52 UTC 2011

Targeted answer to this original question:

`git diff` will show you unstaged changes.

`git diff --cached` (or --staged, they are synonyms) will show you
staged changes.

`git diff HEAD` will show you all of these changes together.

And, re: your point:

> I find that "git diff HEAD" is wrong because I'm not working on
> HEAD.  Similarly, "git diff origin" does not do the right thing.

HEAD from CVS days is gone. In Git, HEAD basically refers to whatever's
currently checked out in your working copy - typically the branch you're
currently working on.

cheers