[development] using git, create patch with new files

Michael Favia michael.favia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:40:03 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 03:32 PM, Dave Cohen wrote:
> On Monday 11 April 2011 13:09:20 Michael Favia wrote:
>
>> I'm no more  a"fan" of git than i am of drupal. Its a tool that has good
>> value if you know how to use it and can frustrate the hell out of you if
>> you dont.
> Let's just say it frustrates the hell out of me.  :)
So did drupal at first for me at least but we've grown accustomed to
each other over the last 5 years. :)

> git diff origin<--- does the wrong thing, in my case
> git diff HEAD<--- appears to work
> git diff origin/6.x-3.x<-- appears to work, in my case
Your "origin" is a reference to a remote repository. That repository has
a "default branch". It seems, at least in this case, that this default
branch is NOT 6.x-3.x. This explains why the former failed and the
latter worked for you. It probably looked like a ton of changes because
it was set to the 7 branch or something :). The HEAD comparison is
entirely local and what you really wanted to use anyway you cut it.

> Thanks for explaining that.
Anytime bud. You've saved me days with fb and associated work. Happy to
help. if you ever run into specific issues hit me up in IRC.

Michael Favia                   michael at favish.com
tel. 512.669.5650            http://www.favish.com