[development] Drupal 7 Entities - view random node

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 24 00:53:58 UTC 2011

Larry, I am curious. Being that you are a database guru, this fits in with an
issue for my Quotes module, as does the original post. [BTW, Blaine, rather than
write you own, you might want to look at Quotes.]

One of the users who has an unusual number of quotes (~12K) says that ORDER
RANDOM LIMIT 1 is not very efficient and gets fairly slow at that size. There
are discussions elsewhere on the web to back up that assertion.

Do you find that to be true? Do you have a simpler way around it than keeping a
separate index of the applicable nodes?

Nancy