[development] Drupal 7 Entities - view random node

Peter Droogmans Peter at attiks.com
Mon Jan 24 08:28:32 UTC 2011

My 2 cents,

Use something like this:

SELECT * FROM node WHERE type = 'quote' AND nid <= FLOOR(RAND() * (SELECT MAX(nid) FROM node)) LIMIT 1;

It isn't truly random, because it depends on how the nodes you're looking for are distributed, but it is faster than sort by rand().You can always extend the subquery with the same WHERE as the parent, but it will slow down the whole thing.

Best regards,
Peter Droogmans
Attiks
Ketsstraat 94