[development] Drupal core initiatives

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon Jun 13 18:17:05 UTC 2011

On 6/13/2011 10:55 AM, Michael Favia wrote:
> On 06/13/11 12:25, Larry Garfield wrote:
>> Well, it is being debated:  http://drupal.org/node/1163962
>
> Only debated because of the lack of exactly the type of content that
> Daniel is proposing reintroducing to the list. I am 100% in favor of
> leaving this list AS-IS and not re-purposing it if we can get more core
> discussions going on it. These initiatives present a great opportunity
> to do so imo.

Honestly, I don't think it can work.

Lots and lots of developers have abandoned the list because it's a
single stream (even if it's threaded) and you can't be selective very
well. You have to be very good with your email client to use lists
effectively, and I think mailing lists are more or less the past, in
terms of real communication on a project.

You will not include people very well with a mailing list, nor can
discussions be effectively moderated.

All that will really happen is undifferentiated threads, uncontrolled
discussions and no ability to organize the data. g.d.o has real problems
but it's better than a mailing list.