[development] How to run multiple email modules at the same time?

Ernst Plüss ernst.pluess at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 06:51:36 UTC 2011

2011/6/22 Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net>:
> This of course has to do with actionable workflow where more than one
> module needs to operate on an action in some specified order.  The hook
> system helps but not perfect if we need hook a of module foo to execute
> before hook b of module bar but hook a of module bar to execute before
> hook b of module foo.  The module weighting system breaks the scenario.

Maybe mailwire should not introduce a weight for the
formatters/senders and reuse the module weight. But as it is designed
now a module can have any number of formatters and/or senders.

How does the module weighting system break the weighting of the
formatters/senders? I can see that having separate weighting systems
might cause confusion and needs to be highlighted in the docs. But I
cannot see any fundamental technical problem.

Maybe we just need a GUI to give admins a chance to tweak the order of
mail formatters and/or senders to their needs. For the filters
(hook_filter_info) it's done like that.

> Conversation is started.  Again you're describing actionable workflow,
> and something may already exist but I don't know yet.

Well, we have the action and rules modules. But I think this modules
do deal with WHEN a mail gets sent. Mailwire however deals with HOW it
gets sent. Therefore I think we should not try to reuse action or
rules for mail formatting/sending. An other argument against this is
that it would put a heavy dependency (rules, entity API) on the mail
handling modules.

Regards
Ernst