[development] Git best practices for client codebases

Marco Carbone marco.carbone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:30:44 UTC 2011

"That keeps me on real releases, avoids unnecessary repository bloat, but
still gives me a full history of all work on that project specifically."

Well, svn or whatever VCS one is already using could be used this way as
well. And it doesn't really address the issue about managing patches, which
probably means that you either don't apply them (I doubt that), or you avoid
overwriting them by careful management (a patches directory or careful
monitoring of commit logs). But it's true that we aren't in the Wild West
days of Drupal 4.7/5 anymore where core patches were more common than not,
and so perhaps manual management is perfectly reasonable, and worth avoiding
the ball and chain of storing every Drupal commit ever.

-marco