[development] Skipping validation on date field

Jeff Hartman lists at jeffhartman.com
Thu Mar 17 15:53:44 UTC 2011

I have a birthdate date field in a form where I am using #after_build to modify. The modifications to the drop down values are:
- add a "select month", "select day", and "select year" options to their respective drop downs
- change the range of years in the year drop down

This field(s) is not required. However, if I don't select anything  in the drop downs and leave each on the "select month/day/year" values, Drupal validation tells me that the selected date is not valid.

How can I tell Drupal to skip this validation? Even if I try to validate this field in hook_form_validate it still tells me the data is invalid.

Jeff