[development] #drupal and #drupal-contribute split (Was: Re: Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site)

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Fri Mar 18 20:03:04 UTC 2011

On 3/18/2011 12:49 PM, Angela Byron wrote:
> We've relegated the architects, the builders, the collaborators, the
> "doers"—the people who fundamentally make the Drupal project what it is
> and are the heart and soul of our culture—to their own "sub" community
> in a hidden silo off to the side. We've taught newcomers to the project
> that IRC is the place to consume, to get help, to make demands, to
> *take*. And we've created both a physical and psychological divide
> between "us" and "them," where it used to be all "us". And, most
> distressingly, there is no longer a pathway for going between "them" and
> "us" because most of "us" have long since stopped going to #drupal due
> to the volume of support that happens there now since there is no one
> left to enforce the culture of getting involved.

No, we have not. We were each doing this, individually. I had left
#drupal long before #drupal-contribute was a reality, and others had
done the same.

At what point are you going to understand that the amount of information
being processed in the main channels is now significantly beyond the
ability for most people to process?

Really, a way to translate what you're saying is that you'd rather *I*
didn't have a place where I can participate, because I don't want to be
inundated with support requests.

If you want to damage the community, by all means, get rid of
#drupal-contribute and try to lump everyone together at once. I
guarantee you, the bulk of the architects will go somewhere else anyway.
Maybe off of IRC entirely because #drupal had become a fundamentally
unfriendly place to be.