[development] Inline form errors

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Thu May 26 14:07:23 UTC 2011

There are two things that come to mind immediately, but I think there are
other approaches as well.

1. AJAX-enabled form elements put the errors by default right with the
element. This is often good. You can also put them anywhere with a little
fiddling.

2. Using hook_page_alter() you can change the location of the dsm messages
(D7). That's easy and might be an appropriate approach.

I imagine a simple change to page.tpl.php would also allow you to put your
messages in a more appropriate place.

I really think this is a #fail in Drupal, as it's a very common problem.
Users often miss error messages because they show up out of context. I'd
certainly welcome a D8 fix for this.

-Randy

--
Randy Fay