[development] Package/group "API" for module administration

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Wed Oct 12 13:52:53 UTC 2011

Am 12.10.2011 11:18, schrieb Jose A. Reyero:
> I'm suggesting just a module package so they should up under that
> package on your site's module listing page.

A d.o category/tag would make sense to me, but a package/category on the
Modules page would not.  Over the years, module packages have been
(ab)used to group modules by "type of functionality".  "API" does not
describe a certain functionality.

While your idea makes some sense for the case of installing/enabling
modules, it's going to be highly confusing for users that want to
*disable* functionality.

E.g., enable a "Foo UI" module in the "Bar" package/group, and Drupal
tells you that "Foo API" module also needs to be enabled. Fine.
Test-drive, dislike, go back, and disable "Foo UI" module, and... an
epic journey to find "Foo API" module begins.

Related issues:

- Smarter UI/API separation for modules: http://drupal.org/node/937814

- Searchable modules page: http://drupal.org/node/396478

sun