[development] Drupal 7 CCK fields in separate tables - why?

Ernst Plüss ernst.pluess at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:00:05 UTC 2011

2011/10/20 Mukesh Agarwal <mukesh.agarwal17 at gmail.com>:
> Hi Mike,
>>
>> the real benefit is that there is no longer
>> any fancy logic around determining what table a field will be stored in
>
> Removing the small piece of fancy logic does not really cover up for the
> overhead multiple tables create.
>>
>> Your first point should have been to just install Entity cache
>> <http://drupal.org/project/entitycache> and be careful how you load
>> entities.
>
> Entity cache does not help me in case of logged in users. The application
> I'm developing now is an enterprise app. IMO, caching also does not cover up
> for multiple tables overhead. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood the workflow
> of entity cache module but from what it seems, this is just a caching
> technique for entities.

If you're building an entrprise app. I'd recommend to think twice
whether Drupal is the right system for you.
If different Drupal modules do solve most of your business
requirements (user management, content, commerce, etc.) and you have
to add some glue code and a module or two, go for it.
If you find yourself with implementing 20+ entities (objects, classes,
tables, you name it) to implement you business Drupal does give you
some helper code, but that's it. There are systems which let you doe
this with much less work.

HTH
Ernst