[development] Remote db, site offline

Joshua Stoutenburg jehoshua02 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 01:10:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Jeff Hartman <lists at jeffhartman.com> wrote:

> I thought this would be straight forward, but alas I am confused.
>
> I typically have my database on my local machine, but I'm in a situation
> where I need to move my database to a remote server so multiple people can
> be developing at the same time. Drupal install and files are all local to
> each developer.
>
> Problem is, I can't get my local settings file to work with the remote
> database. In my settings file I've updated my $db_url string to use the
> remote db. I'm able to connect to the db via command line or MySQL GUI app
> using the same credentials as my settings file, but Drupal does seem to want
> to use the values in $db_url.
>
> Are there any cache settings or something else in the database that would
> restrict me from doing this?
>
> Jeff

I've tried doing this before, not with Drupal, but with OpenCart.  It
worked!  But the time we lost to waiting for database queries in the end
wasn't worth it.

Instead, anytime we made changes to the database in any way, we would place
a dated sql script in the repository to run against each local database.
Everyone was subscribed to repository notifications, so they knew when an
sql script was committed.