[development] Remote db, site offline

Joshua Stoutenburg jehoshua02 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 03:11:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Jeff Hartman <lists at jeffhartman.com> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2011, at 8:10 PM, Joshua Stoutenburg wrote:
>
> >> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Jeff Hartman <lists at jeffhartman.com>
> wrote:
> >> I thought this would be straight forward, but alas I am confused.
> >>
> >> I typically have my database on my local machine, but I'm in a situation
> where I need to move my database to a remote server so multiple people can
> be developing at the same time. Drupal install and files are all local to
> each developer.
> >>

> > I've tried doing this before, not with Drupal, but with OpenCart.  It
> worked!  But the time we lost to waiting for database queries in the end
> wasn't worth it.
> >
> > Instead, anytime we made changes to the database in any way, we would
> place a dated sql script in the repository to run against each local
> database.  Everyone was subscribed to repository notifications, so they knew
> when an sql script was committed.
>
> I got it working. MySQL on the remote server was using old_password
> authentication. Updating that fixed it, but you're right, it is horribly
> slow. Horrible.
>
> Being that Drupal is basically built around the database (content types,
> views, etc.), it is constantly in flux. I'm curious to hear what methods
> people use for teams of developers working together and keeping everything
> synchronized.
>
> Jeff
>

> That is a challenge I would like a solution to as well.

So far, we've been just exporting dated sql scripts and committing them
under a designated directory in the subversion repository (planning on
switching to Git).

I wish there was a solution similar to version control that would keep a
list of all transactions and allow you to commit or ignore them.  I think
TOAD might have something like this but I haven't taken the time to figure
it out.