[development] Modules for more than one version of Drupal

David Metzler metzler.dl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 02:58:06 UTC 2012

What I have done is to try and abstract most of my business logic into separate class/include files, and write a thin layer over the top of that so that I can freely copy code between my branches.  Having done this, keeping separate branches is not a large overhead once you can copy your "business logic' files between your 6, 7 and 8 branches freely.  I would strongly advise against trying to complicate the module loader or hooks and try and develop one module that works against all versions of drupal.  As Drupal 8 moves from menu hooks to classes as part of the Symphony2 adoption, this is likely to fail as an approach anyway.

Having said that there are a few API modules out there that are drupal version independent, but it is usually because there are no drupal hooks being responded to.  Keeping separate branches for the different version of the drupal api for any module that implements drupal hooks is really the only way to go.

Dave