[development] OOP

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Wed Feb 22 16:59:29 UTC 2012

"I don't think anyone can argue that object oriented is also equal to
bloat.  I need a user's name, I load a user object from a user ID which
does a million queries or so."

No. That would be poor coding. To avoid it, I generally build a few
static methods into managers for handling simple tasks. Not sure how
Drupal does it currently, but in another fully object oriented framework
I work with it looks like:

UserManager::get_username(uid);

And runs one query. I do not, however, have a static method for
non-commonly used things, such as a user's last login time, or join date.

Object Oriented most certainly does not mean bloat. Bad code and
architecture mean bloat.

Regards,
   Sam Tresler