[development] Multilingual/translatable configuration

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Fri Jun 1 20:10:44 UTC 2012

Context: CMI, D8MI, Entity, Framework sprint in Barcelona in 2 weeks.

Background:
- New configuration system for D8: http://drupal.org/node/1270608
- How to make config multilingual: http://drupal.org/node/1448330
- Multiple possible approaches.  Uncertainty.  Indecision.
- There's been a conf call to discuss and we've agreed on the most
   simple variant in order to make progress.  To be publicly announced
   and summarized as a blog post on Drupal Planet very soon.

-- 'nuff context --

Am 01.06.2012 18:51, schrieb Gábor Hojtsy:
> Just to summarize the situation, currently Jose is the only one
> working on a solution which is based on a more general config realms
> concept and runtime overrides (as per his explanation in the meeting).
> It is not based on the path we decided on at the meeting. Sun and chx
> are busy with other things and the site information patch that Sun set
> as a pre-requisite to start working on the multilingual support patch
> is not yet close to being committed.

1) Meta data about configuration != configuration realms/domains/overrides

The only existing issue that is remotely related is
http://drupal.org/node/1498270 (which I've just moved into the core
queue), but that is about meta data only and should remain about meta
data only.

As soon as a dedicated issue for configuration realms/domains/overrides
exists, I'll post my stack of objections there. ;)

2) I can't speak for chx.  But I'm focusing on the config system, almost
exclusively.  My promise to whip up a patch to make the site name
multilingual as soon as the site info variables have been converted
still stands.  Ideally (long) before Barcelona.  Created a placeholder
for that: http://drupal.org/node/1613350

3) Converting site info variables into config
(http://drupal.org/node/1496542) is still artificially blocked on the
issue about guidelines for how to convert stuff
(http://drupal.org/node/1599554).  Artificial, because i) the guidelines
never intended to set up a "standard" in the first place, ii) no
objections to the main conversion guidelines at all yet, iii) changes in
direction can still be adjusted later, and iv) it's all about sanity
only and the site info conversion patch only makes sense.  I don't see
why these "blockers" couldn't be resolved by tomorrow.

4) In the end, the prototype patch for multilingual config will be
fundamentally different to (1b) configuration realms/overrides.
Meanwhile, these two topics are entirely different beasts for me.

Anyone else is more than welcome to join the party.  These changes will
affect each and everything throughout Drupal (8).

--
sun